Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Chocolate Sheet Cake


Tonight I'm going to do the Divas's hair and I thought I'd bring a cake with me to start Mom's birthday celebration. So, I chose this.. my most favorite cake ever! Let me tell you.. it is rough making your favorite cake when your on a diet and a true test of your dedication! I didn't even lick a finger! Janie did all my taste testing. Anyway, this will be the reigning champion of best cakes ever until Big B posts his chocolate cake recipe with homemade frosting! I had all the ingredients already in my pantry (always a plus for me.. because running to the store isn't so easy these days:) except for the buttermilk so i made it.. I filled a measuring cup almost to the 1/2 cup mark and then added just enough vinegar to make it to the 1/2 cup mark and voila.. buttermilk! Trust me, you can eat this whole cake by yourself, it is is THAT yummy!!


Combine in a mixing bowl:
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
In a saucepan, melt:
2 sticks butter
Add 4 heaping tablespoons cocoa. Stir together.
Add 1 cup boiling water, allow mixture to boil for 30 seconds, then turn off heat.
Pour over flour mixture, and stir lightly to cool.
In measuring cup, pour 1/2 cup buttermilk.
Add:2 beaten eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
Stir buttermilk mixture into butter/chocolate mixture.

Pour into sheet cake pan and bake at 350-degrees for 20 minutes.

While cake is baking, make icing:
Chop 1/2 cup pecans finely.
Melt 1 3/4 sticks butter in a saucepan.
Add 4 heaping tablespoons cocoa, stir to combine, then turn off heat.
Add:6 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 lb minus 1/2 cup powdered sugar (1 1/2 cups)
Stir together.

Add pecans, stir together, and pour over warm cake.


No comments: