Sunday, October 26, 2008

Crock Pot Green Chile

When I got married my Aunt Cheri gave me a wonderful cook book that she made, full of her delicious recipes. This cook book has been my #1 cook book for the last 2.5 years. I know I can try just about any recipe out of it and it will be good. Well, there is a recipe in there that is hand-written. It is from Cheri's mother-in-law...Grandma Hall. On the recipe, she wrote "JW likes them". JW is my cousin. I think it is so cool to have recipes handed down that are loved in the family.
I hope you enjoy! Sorry no pic this time.

2 lbs stew meat (fat trimmed away)
1 large onion - shopped
1 pkg taco seasoning mix
1 tablespoon oregano
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 large can chopped green chilis
1 large can tomato sauce (the biggest one, not the soup size can)

Layer all ingredients in crock pot with meat on bottom. Turn on low and cook 10 hours or overnight. Stir only after it has cooked for 5 hours. Spoon on large flour tortillas and wrap to form burro. Burro may be deep-fried if desired.

*I have never cooked mine the whole 10 hours and they still turn out great. I usually put it on around 10am and we'll eat around 5 or 6pm.*

*Also, this is great to eat even just in a bowl and not made in a burrito. I had mine in a bowl tonight since I didn't want the carbs and it was still delicious.*

*You can also put some shredded cheese in the burrito to make it even more tasty.*

No comments: