Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Beans and Cornbread

My mom used to make these beans all the time. They're great for a busy day because you can throw them in the crock pot in the morning, and when you get home your house smells yummy and your dinner's ready!

Ingredients:
1 pound pinto beans
4-6 pieces of uncooked bacon
cornbread mix - I use the Marie Calendar mix from the store. You just add water and some canned corn if you have it and it's ready to bake.

I quick soak my beans just before I cook them. It's easier for me than trying to remember to soak them overnight. Rinse the beans, put them in a large pot and cover with water. You need enough water for the beans to double in size. Usually about four inches higher than the beans. DO NOT add any salt to the water! It will toughen the skins. Bring them to a boil. Boil them for two minutes, then cover them and move to another burner. Soak them for about an hour.

Once the hour is over, drain the beans and pour them into a crock pot. Add water until it is about two inches higher than the beans. Cut the bacon into pieces and stir into the pot. Cook them on HIGH for at least four hours. Add 1 tbsp. salt and 2 tbsp. pepper to the pot about an hour before you plan to eat them. You can cook them just about as long as you want, so don't worry if you're out and it has been four hours.

I make the cornbread about 30 minutes before we eat.

*save the leftover beans and mash them the next day for tostados or burritos. I add a can of diced tomatoes, a can of diced green chiles and about 1/4 cup dried onion for flavor.

1 comment:

Schmitz Family said...

I can't believe you parted with the bean recipe!! It is a family secret recipe!! jk.. glad you shared.. i'll be making these tomorrow.. beans, beans, the musical fruit!!!