Thursday, August 21, 2008

Chicken Shepards Pie


This recipe is super easy, yummy and my kids both LOVE it! It is a great solution to those last few carrots and celery that are going to wilt in your fridge if you don't use them. Or, like me tonight, aren't sure what your going to make and haven't gone to the store yet this week!

2 chicken breasts
2 cubes chicken bouillon or use chicken broth and eliminate the water
1 Tbsp. minced onion (I didn't have any so I used onion powder and added a little more and it was good too)
4 cups water
2-3 carrots finely sliced (I usually use more cuz Kelan loves carrots)
1 stalk of celery, chopped (I use more celery too, about 3-4 stalks)
1-2 cups of extra wide egg noodles
salt (I leave salt out because there is plenty in the bouillon cubes)
pepper
dash of season salt (I use more than a dash.. another good reason to leave out the salt!)
mashed potatoes (potato buds work great and are MUCH easier!)

Combine all ingredients except noodles in medium size saucepan. Boil for 20 minutes lowering heat so you don't boil over. Remove chicken and cut into bite size pieces and return back to broth. Add noodles. Simmer 10-12 minutes until done. Add more water if needed. Serve over mashed potatoes.

No comments: